Now that the cooler weather has arrived, I find myself turning to comfort food. Yesterday I made a beef stew, today I made a fabulous tasty cauliflower cheese. It all goes in one tray so there's not too much washing up either!
I am pretty loose with my ingredients, as I tend to put in what is in the fridge or pantry. Here's a rough guide of what you will need.
- A large cauli broken down into small florets (I have also used broccoli if I've not had much cauli to hand).
- Two leeks washed, stripped, cut into lengths and then into segements (semi circles).
- Ricotta Cheese (approx 200g)
- Creme Fraiche (approx 200g)
- Worcester Saunce - a dash
- Mature Cheddar, grated (approx 200g)
- Parmesan, grated (approx 50g) to be sprinkled on top
- Bacon(chopped) or lardons (approx 100g) fried
- 2 roasted red peppers (the ones in the jar) diced
- Mustard powder (about half a teaspoon)
- Ground pepper for seasoning
Preheat the oven around 180. Place the cauli florets in the dish and place in the oven for around 10-12 minutes (it gives the cauli a bit of a nutty flavour).
When the cauli is out of the oven, sprinkle with chopped red peppers and leeks.
In a bowl add the Creme Fraiche, Ricotta, Worcester Sauce, Mustard Powder, grated mature cheese and ground black pepper and mix together. If you find the mixture a bit stiff to stir, then use a little milk to loosen the texture.
Spoon the mixture over the cauli, pepper and leeks. Finally sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese on top.
Pop in the middle of the oven for about thirty minutes, when it should be golden brown.
I like to leave my cauli cheese to rest for ten minutes before serving so that it soaks up any juices in the bottom of the baking dish.
Enjoy. Sam x