52 Week Mini Art Card/Tag Challenge

Wednesday 19 July 2023

Lavinia Stamps "Ginger" in a nest


Another Lavinia Stamps card from me today, this time using three of the new release stamps.

To start, I stamped the Lavinia Stamps "Head-dress" upside down, using Versafine Clair "Charming Pink" ink. I stamped it again on a post-it note and fussy cut the top area, before positioning it over the original stamped image on the white piece of card.

With the mask in position, I stamped "Ginger" the owl, which is the medium sized own of the three new releases by Lavinia Stamps.  I stamped using Versafine Clair "Fantasia" ink. I repeat stamped the owl on a post-it note and fussy cut it so that it would be a mask.  

Incidentally, with the masks I make, I don't bin them after one project, I keep them in a plastic wallet with the stamp for future use.  It saves a few moments of stamping and cutting, which I am all for!

I put some "Tumbled Glass" Distress Oxide Ink on to my glass mat, diluted it slightly with a spritz of water then applied the colour in a mottled style around the masked area of the head-dress and owl.  I then decided to add a touch of "Weathered Wood" Distress Oxide Ink, applied in the same way.  I then gave the surface a blast of the heat gun to dry it fully.

Once dry, I lay the Lavinia Stamps "Waffle" stencil over the top of the piece of card.  Using a blending brush, I applied "Wilted Violet" Distress Oxide Ink through the stencil, lightly at first and then with slightly more pressure towards the edges of the card.

I used a finger dabber, with Versafine Clair "Fantasia" ink around the edge of the card to make the central area colour pop more.

I then popped a dab of Dr PH. Martin's Bleed Proof white paint on to my glass mat, added a touch of water then used a fan shaped paint brush to create the splatters across the surface of the card.  I then set it aside to dry for a few minutes, while I tidied my desk up.

Once dry, I removed the two paper masks and stamped some extra branches around the nest.head-dress using the Lavinia Stamps "Woodland Set" with Versafine Clair "Charming Pink" ink.

I stamped the sentiment, which is part of the Lavinia "Heartfelt Verse" stamp set using Versafine Clair "Fantasia" ink. I then mounted the card on to a piece of purple cardstock and then glued it into position on a white card blank.

Now it was time to colour in the main image.  I used a selection of Derwent Inktense Pencils applied with a paint brush.  These are the shades I used:  Fuchsia, Mauve, Violet Blue, Malibu and Mineral Blue. I then added touches of Posca Pens and Gel Pens to add extra depth of colour and a lovely glitter look to areas too.  Finally, in the nest area, I added touches of Ranger White Enamel Accents and Liquid Pearls Blackberry.


  1. Absolutely stunning Sam, love your combination of images and colours

  2. Absolutely stunning and love the way you used the head dress on Ginger.. adorable stamping and amazing background work. xx

  3. This is such a sweet owl and love the improvised nest which looks great with the extra foliage you added Sam and the Waffle stencil makes a brilliant background, and finally the added splattering and Posca Pens and Perfect Pearls to the nest and ground areas really look great...beautiful bright colours too. x

  4. What a clever idea Sam…. With the headdress xx love it ….